Ross R. Hartog
Ross Hartog is a resident in our Fort Lauderdale and Miami offices. Ross has focused his law practice in bankruptcy and insolvency since 1998. He represents parties in all aspects of the bankruptcy process including trustees, assignees for the benefit of creditors, receivers, creditors, debtors, committees, and purchasers of assets.
Ross is a member of the Panel of Bankruptcy Trustees for the Southern District of Florida where he is routinely appointed as a chapter 7 and chapter 11 trustee. He also serves as a receiver and assignee for the benefit of creditors. If you are a chapter 7 debtor or an attorney representing a debtor, you may access the Trustee’s website here.
If you have questions or are seeking information concerning In re World Global Financing, Inc., Case No. 18-15499-BKC, you may access the Trustee’s case-specific website here.
Representative Matters – Attorney
- Represented chapter 11 trustee in liquidation of hospital on Miami Beach
- Represented chapter 7 trustee in tri-county medical imaging company liquidation.
- Represented Assignee for the Benefit of Creditors of international hospitality management company
- Represented chapter 11 debtor in a successful reorganization of commercial property.
- Represented chapter 12 debtor in a successful family farmer reorganization.
- Represented Assignee for the Benefit of Creditors of on-line pharmacy.
- Represented Assignee for the Benefit of Creditors of international kitchen furniture distributor
- Represented creditors committee and liquidating trustee in chapter 11 case where avoidance actions were prosecuted and led to recovery of more than $2 million.
- Represented secured creditor and DIP lender in two successful chapter 11 reorganizations
- Represented chapter 11 trustee in the liquidation of a marina and boatyard, which included a week-long fraudulent conveyance trial resulting in judgment in favor of trustee where more than $13 million was recovered and returned to creditors.
- Represented a chapter 11 debtor in the reorganization of a condominium conversion project where a plan was confirmed that provided for sale of the debtor’s assets for more than $12 million.
- Represented medical doctor in a successful personal chapter 11 reorganization.
- Represented a liquidating trustee responsible for administering more than 2,000 viatical investments and related litigation across the United States.
Representative Matters – Trustee and Fiduciary
- Chapter 11 trustee for real estate developer which required operation and management of large commercial shopping center with anchor tenants that included Winn Dixie, Foot Locker, and AutoZone
- Chapter 11 trustee for 90 unit apartment complex where he successfully confirmed a chapter 11 plan of reorganization
- Chapter 11 trustee for international sugar manufacturer and distributor
- Chapter 11 trustee for non-profit, low income housing provider which required operating and management of multiple properties including 52 unit apartment complex where he successfully confirmed a chapter 11 plan of reorganization
- Chapter 7 trustee for international importer and distributor of liquor and tobacco, which included maintenance of a U.S. Customs bonded warehouse
- Receiver for charter yacht located in Virgin Gorda
- Assignee for the benefit of creditors of national specialty ice cream manufacturer and distributor
- Assignee for the benefit of creditors of national mail-order pharmacy
- Chapter 11 trustee for real estate investment firm
- In re Brooks (Caresource, Inc. v. Brooks), 2012 WL 3781134 (Bankr. S.D. Fla.)
- In re Bancredit Cayman Limited, 419 B.R. 898 (Bankr. S.D. Fla. 2009)
- In re Epixtar Corp. (Epixtar Corp. v. McClain & Company, L.C., et al., 2009 WL 2500463 (Bankr. S. D. Fla.)
- In re Epixtar Corp. (Epixtar Corp. v. McClain & Company, L.C., et al., 414 B.R. 813 (Bankr. S. D. Fla. 2009)
- In re Consolidated Yacht Corporation, 337 B.R. 711 (Bankr. S.D. Fla. 2006)
- In re Brickell, 292 B.R. 705 (Bankr. S.D. Fla. 2003)
Awards and Recognitions
- Chambers USA, Bankruptcy and Restructuring
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2009-2019
- Florida Trend Magazine, Legal Elite, 2004-2018
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2004-2018
- Top 100 Lawyers in Miami
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyer, 2004-2018
- Lifestyle Media Group’s Leaders in Law 2015 Award, Bankruptcy Law, Finalist
- South Miami-Kendall Bar Association, Pro Bono Legal Service Award
- Dade Legal Aid Put Something Back Pro Bono, Certificate of Appreciation
- Speaker, “Trustee Perspectives in Consumer Bankruptcy,” 28th Annual Bankruptcy Skills Workshop, University of Miami School of Law, June 2018
- Speaker, “Trustee Litigation: Objecting to Claimed Exemptions,” Region 21 Bankruptcy Trustee Association, April 2018
- Speaker,”Litigation Financing,” National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees National Convention, 2017
- Speaker, “Bankruptcy Form Modernization Project”, Broward County Bar Association, 2015
- Speaker, “Trustee and Creditor Perspectives in Consumer Bankruptcy,” 22nd Annual Bankruptcy Skills Workshop, University of Miami School of Law, June 2012
- Speaker, “Bankruptcy Practice After the Bankruptcy Abuse and Prevention Act of 2005,” 2006
- Speaker, “Liquidating Trusts,” Bankruptcy Legal Assistants Association, 2004
- Speaker, “How a Guardian Can Address as Ward’s Insolvency Issues,” Southern Florida Guardian Association, 2003
Professional and Community Activities
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad College of Law, 2008 to Present
- Consumer Bankruptcy Field Placement Clinic, Supervising Attorney, 2017 to Present
- Advanced Bankruptcy Workshop, 2008 to 2016, 2018 to Present
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, 2011 to Present
- Financial Literacy Committee, 2016 to 2017
- American Bankruptcy Institute, 2001 to Present
- Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Lawyer Advisory Committee, Vice-Chair, 2018 to Present
- Bankruptcy Bar Association of the Southern District of Florida, 2002 to Present
- President, 2008
- Elections Committee Chair, 2010 to Present
- Dade County Bar Association, 2000 to Present
- University of Miami Bankruptcy Assistant Clinic, Mentor, 2001 to Present
- Bethany Christian School, School Board Vice-Chair, 2012 to 2015
- WLRN Radio Reading Service for Visually Impaired, 2000 to 2002