Ross R. Hartog
Ross Hartog is a resident in our Fort Lauderdale office. Ross has focused his law practice on bankruptcy and insolvency since 1998. He represents parties in all aspects of the bankruptcy process including trustees, assignees for the benefit of creditors, receivers, creditors, debtors, committees, and purchasers of assets.
Ross is a member of the Panel of Bankruptcy Trustees for the Southern District of Florida where he is routinely appointed as a chapter 7 and chapter 11 trustee. He also serves as a receiver and assignee for the benefit of creditors. If you are a chapter 7 debtor or an attorney representing a debtor, you may access the Trustee’s website here.
Ross is also a member of the Fund (Attorneys’ Title Fund Services, LLC).
Representative Matters – Attorney
- Represented chapter 11 trustee in liquidation of a hospital on Miami Beach
- Represented chapter 7 trustee in tri-county medical imaging company liquidation.
- Represented Assignee for the Benefit of Creditors of an international hospitality management company
- Represented chapter 11 debtor in a successful reorganization of commercial property.
- Represented chapter 12 debtor in a successful family farmer reorganization.
- Represented Assignee for the Benefit of Creditors of on-line pharmacy.
- Represented Assignee for the Benefit of Creditors of international kitchen furniture distributor
- Represented creditors committee and liquidating trustee in chapter 11 case where avoidance actions were prosecuted and led to the recovery of more than $2 million.
- Represented secured creditor and DIP lender in two successful chapter 11 reorganizations
- Represented chapter 11 trustee in the liquidation of a marina and boatyard, which included a week-long fraudulent conveyance trial resulting in judgment in favor of trustee where more than $13 million was recovered and returned to creditors.
- Represented a chapter 11 debtor in the reorganization of a condominium conversion project where a plan was confirmed that provided for the sale of the debtor’s assets for more than $12 million.
- Represented medical doctor in a successful personal chapter 11 reorganization.
- Represented a liquidating trustee responsible for administering more than 2,000 viatical investments and related litigation across the United States.
Representative Matters – Trustee and Fiduciary
- Chapter 11 trustee for real estate developer which required operation and management of large commercial shopping center with anchor tenants that included Winn Dixie, Foot Locker, and AutoZone
- Chapter 11 trustee for 90 unit apartment complex where he successfully confirmed a chapter 11 plan of reorganization
- Chapter 11 trustee for international sugar manufacturer and distributor
- Chapter 11 trustee for non-profit, low-income housing provider which required operating and management of multiple properties including 52 unit apartment complex where he successfully confirmed a chapter 11 plan of reorganization
- Chapter 7 trustee for international importer and distributor of liquor and tobacco, which included maintenance of a U.S. Customs bonded warehouse
- Receiver for charter yacht located in Virgin Gorda
- Assignee for the benefit of creditors of national specialty ice cream manufacturer and distributor
- Assignee for the benefit of creditors of national mail-order pharmacy
- Chapter 11 trustee for a real estate investment firm
- In re Brooks (Caresource, Inc. v. Brooks), 2012 WL 3781134 (Bankr. S.D. Fla.)
- In re Bancredit Cayman Limited, 419 B.R. 898 (Bankr. S.D. Fla. 2009)
- In re Epixtar Corp. (Epixtar Corp. v. McClain & Company, L.C., et al., 2009 WL 2500463 (Bankr. S. D. Fla.)
- In re Epixtar Corp. (Epixtar Corp. v. McClain & Company, L.C., et al., 414 B.R. 813 (Bankr. S. D. Fla. 2009)
- In re Consolidated Yacht Corporation, 337 B.R. 711 (Bankr. S.D. Fla. 2006)
- In re Brickell, 292 B.R. 705 (Bankr. S.D. Fla. 2003)
- Kuhmho Tire Company, Ltd., et al. v. Carmichael, et al., 526 U.S. 137 (1999)
- Diviero v. Uniroyal Goodrich Tire Co., 114 F.3d. 851 (9th Cir. 1997)
- Arredondo v. Uniroyal Goodrich Tire Co., 114 F.3d 1993 (9th Cir. 1997)
Awards and Recognition
- Chambers USA, Bankruptcy and Restructuring, 2015-2020
- AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- The Best Lawyers in America, 2009-2020
- Daily Business Review, Feature Article, “Seafaring Adventures Leave Mark on Attorney Ross Hartog,” November 2017
- Florida Trend Magazine, Legal Elite, 2004-2018
- Florida Super Lawyers, 2004-2020
- Top 100 Lawyers in Miami, 2019-2020
- South Florida Legal Guide, Top Lawyer, 2004-2020
- Lifestyle Media Group’s Leaders in Law 2015 Award, Bankruptcy Law, Finalist
- South Miami-Kendall Bar Association, Pro Bono Legal Service Award
- Dade Legal Aid Put Something Back Pro Bono, Certificate of Appreciation
- Speaker, “Legal Writing,” National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees National Convention, 2020
- Speaker, “Chapter 7 Trustee Tips for Bankruptcy Practitioners,” South Palm Beach County Bar Association, December 2019
- Speaker, “Trustee Perspectives in Consumer Bankruptcy,” 28th Annual Bankruptcy Skills Workshop, University of Miami School of Law, June 2018
- Speaker, “Trustee Litigation: Objecting to Claimed Exemptions,” Region 21 Bankruptcy Trustee Association, April 2018
- Speaker,” Litigation Financing,” National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees National Convention, 2017
- Speaker, “Bankruptcy Form Modernization Project“, Broward County Bar Association, 2015
- Speaker, “Trustee and Creditor Perspectives in Consumer Bankruptcy,” 22nd Annual Bankruptcy Skills Workshop, University of Miami School of Law, June 2012
- Speaker, “Bankruptcy Practice After the Bankruptcy Abuse and Prevention Act of 2005,” 2006
- Speaker, “Liquidating Trusts,” Bankruptcy Legal Assistants Association, 2004
- Speaker, “How a Guardian Can Address as Ward’s Insolvency Issues,” Southern Florida Guardian Association, 2003
Publications and Selected Court Filings
- Author, “Trustees and Joint Administration,” NABT American Bankruptcy Trustee Journal, Spring 2020
- Brief of Appellant, Kaplan v. Mayer Brown, Case No. 4D-08-4163, District Court of Appeals for the Fourth District of Florida (2008)
- Brief of Appellee, In re Consolidated Yacht Corporation, Case No. 04-22834, United States District Court for the Southern District of Florida (2004)
- Amicus Brief, Kumho Tire Company, Ltd., et al. v. Carmichael, et al., Case No. 97-1709, United States Supreme Court (1997)
- Brief of Appellee, Diviero v. Uniroyal Goodrich Tire Co., Case No. 96-15933, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (1996)
- Brief of Appellee, Arredondo v. Uniroyal Goodrich Tire Co., Brief of Appellee – Case No. 95-17309, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (1996)
- Author, “The Psychological Impact of AIDS on Real Property and a Real Estate Broker’s Duty to Disclose”, 36 Ariz. L. Rev. 757 (1994)
Professional and Community Activities
- Adjunct Professor of Law, Nova Southeastern University, Shepard Broad College of Law, 2008 to Present
- Consumer Bankruptcy Field Placement Clinic, Supervising Attorney, 2017 to Present
- Advanced Bankruptcy Workshop, 2008 to 2016, 2018 to Present
- National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees, 2011 to Present
- Financial Literacy Committee, 2016 to 2017
- American Bankruptcy Institute, 2001 to Present
- Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Florida
- Lawyer Advisory Committee, Vice-Chair, 2018 to Present
- Bankruptcy Bar Association of the Southern District of Florida, 2002 to Present
- President, 2008
- Elections Committee Chair, 2010 to Present
- Dade County Bar Association, 2000 to Present
- University of Miami Bankruptcy Assistant Clinic, Mentor, 2001 to Present
- Bethany Christian School, School Board Vice-Chair, 2012 to 2015
- WLRN Radio Reading Service for Visually Impaired, 2000 to 2002