Restructuring + Insolvency
Markowitz Ringel Trusty + Hartog provides a broad range of restructuring, insolvency, and bankruptcy advice and counsel, on an out-of-court basis, as well as in state and federal courts. We assist individuals and businesses in financial distress restructure debt and recover money or collateral in bankruptcy or insolvency proceedings. We also prosecute and defend actions in state and federal court that are the result of bankruptcy or insolvency proceedings. A significant portion of our practice involves the representation of fiduciaries, including bankruptcy trustees, receivers and assignees for the benefit of creditors. Our credibility in this particular area of practice is bolstered by the fact that one of our shareholders is also a bankruptcy trustee. As a result of this depth of experience and our track record of success, the firm continues to receive annual recognition in Chambers USA as a leading law firm in this practice area.
Range of Services
- Asset Acquisition
- Asset Recovery
- Assignments for the Benefit of Creditors
- Avoidable Transfer Litigation
- Bankruptcy Litigation
- Creditors’ Committees
- Creditor and Debtor Rights
- Fiduciary Representation – Trustees, Receivers, Assignees
- Secured Creditors
- Counsel to liquidating trustee in a confirmed chapter 11 bankruptcy case where creditors have been paid and full and equity will receive more than $25 million.
- Counsel to chapter 11 bankruptcy debtors consisting of real estate holding company, skilled nursing facility, and a hospital where all of the assets were sold, which will result in plans providing payment in full to creditors and significant amounts payable to equity.
- Co-counsel to a creditor in a large Ponzi-scheme bankruptcy case and recovered over $20 million for the creditor.
- Counsel to the bankruptcy trustee of a wholesaler of various sugar products, and assisted in the section 363 sale of over 2000 metric tons of sugar.
- Counsel to the chapter 11 bankruptcy trustee of a 90-unit residential apartment building and assisted the trustee in obtaining confirmation of a chapter 11 plan.
- Counsel to large real estate developer and successful resolved $110 million in debt for less than $6 million.
- Counsel to the chapter 11 bankruptcy trustee of a non-profit company providing low income housing including a 52-unit apartment building. Counsel assisted the trustee in selling the apartment building and confirming a chapter 11 plan where creditors will be paid in full and more than $1 million will be paid to the non-profit.
- Counsel to assignee for the benefit of creditors for large kitchen manufacturing business where recovery for creditors exceeded $5 million.
- Successfully represented a heavy equipment dealer by litigating a multi-million dollar bankruptcy preference case by completely eliminating the claim.
- Representation of a not for profit organization that provided free and confidential telephone counseling, crisis intervention, suicide prevention and information and referral services in connection with sale of assets as part of state court assignment for the benefit of creditors